Viennese whirls might seem like a difficult cookie to make, but they use so few ingredients and it takes almost no time to make these delightfully beautiful sandwich cookies.
- 9oz+3 1/2 oz of softened unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup+7 oz of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 oz of corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 8 oz of raspberry jam, homemade or store-bought
- Use parchment paper to line 3 cookie sheets, and draw 8 circles on each using a 2-inch cookie cutter so you can pipe evenly.
- With an electric or stand mixer, beat 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and 9 oz of butter together until pale and fluffy. Use a fine-mesh sieve to sift in the flour and cornstarch and continue to mix until well combined.
- Place the dough into a piping bag fitted with a star tip, and pipe the cookies onto the parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 F for 13-15 minutes. You don’t want them golden brown.
- With an electric hand mixer, whisk together the rest of the powdered sugar and butter with the vanilla extract to make the buttercream.
- Have the cookies cool completely before assembling. Pipe or smear on the buttercream, then a layer of jam, sandwich with another cookie, and enjoy!