If you’re looking for a delicious and easy treat you can make for the upcoming holidays, these yummy almond joy bars are the perfect choice.
They’re gluten-free and vegan, but also very creamy and super easy to make. Lexi and Beth from the crowded_kitchen shared this recipe, so make sure to try these tasty bites.
- 2 cup almonds, plus about ¼ cup whole almonds for topping
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2½ cups dark chocolate chips* (vegan/gluten-free)
- Flaky salt, optional
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the almonds into a fine flour. This may take a few minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave and add it to the food processor, along with the maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Pulse to combine thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flakes to the food processor and combine until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking dish. Press down to form the dough to the dish. You want a smooth top, so you may choose to roll it flat with a clean glass or press with a dry measuring cup. Freeze for 10 minutes, until firm.
- Remove the dish from the freezer and slice the dough into bars, about 1 inch long and a half-inch wide. Spread the bars out on a baking sheet and return to the freezer for 10 more minutes.
- Just before the 10 minutes is up, add the dark chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove the bars from the freezer. Dip each bar into the melted chocolate and immediately top with a whole almond and sprinkle each bar with flaky salt, if using. The chocolate hardens quickly, so it’s easiest to do this with a helper to place the almonds on top after you dip. This will get messy, but it’s worth it!
- Return the chocolate-covered bars to the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze until fully set, another 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for up to 2 weeks.