This Italian Egg Bake, published by Cotter Crunch, is a fabulous low carb dish that can be used for a healthy brunch, breakfast or when you fancy eggs for dinner. It is cooked in a tomato sauce, filled with cheese and fresh vegetables and finished with Italian seasoning. What more could you want from this egg dish?! It’s easy to make and perfect for meal prep and it is gluten and grain-free.
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (extra for topping)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt and pepper each (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 5 large cage-free eggs
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- Oregano to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pan-fry the pancetta and onion together in a cast-iron skillet for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the almond milk and parmesan cheese and stir in the garlic, tomato, salt and pepper, tomato sauce and herbs.
- Pour the mixture over the onion and pancetta in the skillet.
- With a spatula, create 5 small holes in the mixture where you can place the eggs. Crack the eggs on top of each hole.
- Add any extra cheese you desire and put the skillet in the oven for 15-18 minutes, the egg whites should be set and the corners are brown.
- Garnish with Italian parsley and red pepper flakes and eat!