In summer, everyone is always trying to figure out a way to keep themselves cool, but also energized. A way to combine both is to make your own cold brew coffee! Unlike regular coffee or even iced coffee, cold brew is not made with any hot water. Instead, cold water is used to extract the flavor and caffeine out of the coffee beans. This process is slow but so worthwhile.
For cold brew coffee, you will need water and ground coffee beans. You can choose whatever type of beans you like, but it’s best to grind them at home because you want the grounds slightly bigger than you would for normal coffee. This will come in handy later in the process.
- Combine a gallon of water with 100 grams, or 3.5 oz of coffee grounds in a large container.
- Use a whisk to thoroughly mix the water and coffee.
- Cover it and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Use a cheesecloth and strain the mixture into a different container. If your grounds are small, do this step a few times.
- Put a mesh strainer with a paper towel on top and strain one more time.
- Enjoy for up to a week!