Our favorite food blogger is back at it again with this “BLT” that’s perfect for vegetarians. Cookie and Kate replaces bacon with halloumi cheese to mimic the fried, chewy, savory flavor. The recipe is so good, that even your meat-loving friends will enjoy it! This recipe makes two large sandwiches.
- 4 large slices of sourdough bread
- 2 medium to large ripe red tomatoes
- flaky sea salt or kosher salt
- 6 ounces halloumi cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tender green lettuce leaves
- Lightly toast each slice of bread and set it aside.
- Slice your tomatoes into thick rounds, a little over 1/4 inch thick), and sprinkle them with kosher salt.
- Slice the halloumi into 1/4 inch wide strips and pat dry any water on the cheese.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. With kitchen tongs, place slices of halloumi into the oil and leave a little room around each piece of cheese so they don’t stick together. Cover the skillet to prevent splatters.
- Cook the cheese until the undersides are golden, about 2 to 4 minutes. Flip each piece of cheese with the tongs and cook the other side until it’s golden.
- Place some paper towels on an empty plate to absorb the oil. When the cheese is done, place it on the plate and sprinkle it with freshly ground black pepper. Let the cheese cool before handling it.
- For your sandwich, spread the mayonnaise on two slices of bread.
- On the remaining toasts, top them with three lettuce leaves, tomato slices, cheese, and the bread with mayonnaise on it.