Quinoa is an ancient grain from South America that’s also known as the Inca Gold because of the numerous health benefits it offers. This superfood is very popular in recent years because it’s rich with protein and packed with fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, and numerous beneficial antioxidants.
In case you haven’t tried this amazing grain yet, try preparing this amazing quinoa breakfast that’s both healthy and delicious. Megan Boswell from The Healthy Label, who shared this recipe, says it’s “creamy, soft, and slightly nutty.” Make sure to try it soon and enjoy.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup milk (any, I used lactose-free)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Toppings: nuts or nut butter, fruit and/or yogurt
- Strain and rinse quinoa through a fine-mesh sieve, or alternatively in a bowl and strain the water out.
- Toast quinoa on low-medium heat for 3 mins in a small pot, allowing it to dry and bring out the nutty aroma.
- Add coconut milk, milk of choice, a pinch of salt and vanilla essence to the pot. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then bring down to a simmer (lightly bubbling) for 15-20 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking on the bottom.
- If making caramelized bananas, do this while you wait. Add half to 1 sliced banana to a pan with a light drizzle of coconut oil on low-medium heat. Flip when golden brown underneath.
- When quinoa is creamy and thick, mix in your cacao powder and honey and stir through for a minute. Transfer to a plate and add your toppings.