If you’ve never had creamy potato soup, this is the best time to try this recipe. It’ll keep you warm during what’s left of this winter.
- 1.5 lb diced potatoes
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 cups warmed milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4 peeled and minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- chives, sour cream, bacon, shredded cheese for serving
- Get a stockpot and cook the diced bacon until it becomes crispy. When it’s done, put it on a plate, making sure that you keep the bacon grease.
- You only need 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease for cooking.
- Cook the onion together with the grease for 5 minutes. You can then add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Include the flour and cook for 1 minute, while also mixing the ingredients together.
- Add the stock in the mix together with the potatoes and the milk.
- Wait for the soup to start simmering, then lower the heat.
- Cover the stockpot with a lid and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, you can include sour cream, shredded cheese, pepper, bacon, and salt.
- Your creamy potato soup is done. Top it off with extra bacon, shredded cheese, chives and any other toppings that you like.