Is there a person in this world who doesn’t like scones? There are so many different recipes for this delicious treat, but these blueberry buttermilk scones sound perfect – they’re light, fruity, and they’ll melt in your mouth!
Blueberry scones can make a perfect afternoon snack or even breakfast and they are not too complicated to make. The only secret to making perfect and light scones is to handle the dough as gently and as little as possible. Give them a try and you won’t be disappointed.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 heaping cup blueberries
- 1 tbs coarse sugar to sprinkle on top before baking
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a fork until everything appears moistened.
- Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges. Brush with a little extra buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Separate the scones so there is a little space between each one.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.