Strawberries are one of our favorite fruits and each summer we get super excited about all the baking possibilities that strawberries present to us. Whether it’s chocolate-covered strawberries, strawberry pie, strawberry popsicles, or strawberry shortcake, there’s so much you can do with strawberries. Today we’re going to give you a recipe for strawberry shortcake parfaits which are an individual dessert that is made in mason jars.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 8-ounce container whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs.
- With the back of a spoon, make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Stir eggs, sour cream, and milk in a small bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir them together.
- With a small offset metal spatula, spread the dough evenly in the baking pan.
- Bake the dough for 16 to 18 minutes, until a wooden pick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- While the dough is in the oven, combine 4 cups of strawberries and the sugar.
- Cut the shortcake into twelve pieces. Layer 2 shortcake pieces, 1/2 cup strawberry mixture, and 1/3 cup whipped cream into six 8-oz mason jars.
- Top with remaining strawberries.