Just because the 4th of July is over, it doesn’t mean it’s time to put your barbecues away. Summer is barbecue season and in addition to hamburgers, chicken, and hot dogs, these salmon burgers should be on your menu the next time you grill. They’re super tasty and easy to make.
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless salmon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 shallots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup coarse bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- lemon wedges
- Tabasco sauce
- Cut the salmon into large chunks and put a quarter of it into the container of a food processor with the dijon mustard. Turn the machine on and have it run until it becomes a paste. If needed, scrape the sides down.
- Mix in the shallots and remaining salmon and pulse the machine on and off until the fish is chopped and combined with the puree. The pieces shouldn’t be larger than 1/4 inch.
- Put the mixture into a bowl and add in the bread crumbs, capers, salt, and pepper by hand.
- Shape the mixture into four burgers.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet add butter or oil and turn the heat to medium-high. When it’s hot, cook the burgers for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, turning once. Or you can grill the burgers for about 4 minutes on one side and then turning them to the second side for another minute or two.
- To see if they’re done, make a small cut and peek inside.
- Serve in a bun or on greens with lemon wedges and Tabasco.