With the temperature rising and the official start of summer just weeks away, it’s time to start whipping up your ice cream and frozen yogurt recipes. This frozen yogurt recipe is actually really healthy as there’s no added sugar; the sweetness comes from the blueberries and honey. This is the perfect summer treat to enjoy on a hot day.
- 1 pint (2 ½ cups) blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 small lemon, to be zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups full fat yogurt, chilled
- Combine blueberries, honey, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, then cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- If you want a smooth consistency, strain the mixture through a fine mesh colander into a bowl. With the back of a large spoon, mash the blueberries to extract the liquid and discard the mashed berries.
- Refrigerate the mixture until it’s chilled or you can place it in the freezer, stirring every 10 minutes for about 45 minutes.
- Mix your blueberry mixture and chilled yogurt, then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve immediately for a soft-serve texture or transfer the frozen yogurt to a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours.