Should You Be Using SPF 100?

Photo by Jude Beck on Unsplash

With the first rays of sunshine in the spring, many of us reach for the SPF cream that will protect our skin. But is a higher SPF always the best option? What about SPF 100 cream — is it better for you than SPF 50 or 30?

SPF (sun protection factor) is a measure that tells you how well your skin is protected against harmful UV radiation when you’re using a product that has it. You can find a wide range of SPF creams in the stores today — from 4 to 100+. But do you actually need SPF 100? How effective is it?

You should know that SPF 30 will protect you against 97% of the sun’s rays. The higher factor only increases the coverage for the remaining 3%. However, a higher factor doesn’t mean you get to spend more time in the sun. It’s a good idea to reapply sunscreen every few hours when you’re out, regardless of the SPF number you’re using. The higher SPF won’t increase the time you can go between two applications!